Saturday, June 11, 2011

Yesterday

There are days that I live the dream and don't even realize it. Yesterday was one of them. There are also days that are weird and cray cray stuff happens and I don't even realize it. Yesterday was one of them. I like to think of myself as observant. I think the evidence is against me.

Rick busted up in my room at 8:47 am and scared me so bad I almost fell off my air mattress. Mind you, I had not seen God's green earth before 9 am in what felt like 47 years, so this was a shock. Also, I'm well aware that the drop from the air mattress to the ground is probably 6 inches tops, but in that state of horror and confusion the last thing I was doing was thinking rationally. Rick informed me we were going to breakfast. Praise the Lord above. I slapped on the clothes I had worn the day before and quickly forgot about the past 3 minutes of life and ran out the door. The prospect of donuts has that effect on me. (Affect? I can never get it right. If you're one of those people who cringes at the thought let alone the sight of school girl bad grammar, please forgive me for my schoolgirl bad grammar.)

We arrived at Rick's bakery. Rick and I have graced Rick's bakery with our presence for years. It has character and spunk and you immediately feel like you're a little kid again. It makes me want to stuff my face with cream filled donuts and drink chocolate milk. It also makes me want to grab Rick's hand and skip. One of these days i'm going to just to see his reaction. I had only be awake for 12 minutes and was certainly not in the mood for holding hands or skipping so I acted like a caveman instead, pointing and grunting at the donuts I wanted. At times I shoudn't be allowed in public.

We sat in the back room and ate and talked about life and laughed. The kind of laughter that bubbles up in you and is really loud and you can't control it. Rick had been in China for a week and a half and it was a delight to have him sitting across from me eating donuts. He didn't even care that my hair was standing on end and that I was wearing that outfit round 2. Love abounds. We left Rick's and got coffee at Starbucks. Rick would never admit it, but he's a coffee snob. I'm a coffee snob. Lord, please humble me and my coffee preferences.

I got home and took Foxy for a walk in an attempt to walk off the donuts. I probably would have needed to walk from my house to Chicago to make that happen, but one can dream. We had been gone for 2.3 seconds, and that's when I saw it. A huge, ginger colored dear standing in my neighbors front yard staring at me. Now, I live in suburban Arkansas complete with cookie cutter houses, mowed grass, sidewalks, mulch and roses, the whole 9 yards. And it was noon and broad daylight. I thought I was seeing things. I thought the donuts were playing tricks on me. When the deer saw us it ran through peoples front yard and down the paved road. "Probably off to go scare some other unsuspecting ginger trying to walk off her donuts" I said to Foxy. Not really. But I wish I would have.

After I got back from the walk my day started over. Rick and I went and got starbucks, yes again. No I didn't get the same thing again. Yes I wanted to.

Tina and I went on walk round two after starbucks visit round two. As we were rounding the corner, we saw a ground hog and some friends scampering around. I've never seen a ground hog in my neighborhood. I exclaimed, "Mother dearest! I cannot handle all of the wildbeasts in and around our neighborhood. A ginger deer, and now this?!" Not really. But I wish I would have.

We ate dinner, and sat by the fire pit, and went and got icecream, and I ran for a wee bit.

I can't define grace. I don't understand it. I know I need it every moment of every day. And then the Lord gives me a day like yesterday. A day full of starbucks and time with Rick and Tina and blessings and donuts and ground hogs and ginger deer and fire pits. That's grace and blessing. I don't deserve it, but then he abundantly lavishes the gift on us. Praise Praise Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment