Friday, December 23, 2011

Jolly Be Good

Some things in life are simply ridiculous. Going to starbucks with your shorts on backwards more times than you would like to admit. Eating popcorn and skittles and fresca for dinner. 5 days a week. Loving Jon Foreman (No, I'm not throwing you Jon Foreman lovers under the bus. I'm among you, promise. But it's time we face the truth. He's ridiculous. What am I talking about? He's great! I LOVE YOU, JON FOREMAN!!) Wearing the pants you forgot had a hole in a less than appropriate place to work. Spilling your coffee on yourself, getting a burn, and contemplating if it's worth being that girl who sues the restaurant because I just burnt myself. Sometimes anger isn't the brightest crayon in the box. Chewing 15 pieces of gum in 3 minutes. What is it about gum and self control? Like oil and water I tell you. How nail polish is one of the only things that defies age. Yes, I painted my nails red, green, and gold sparkles for Christmas. No, I'm not seven. Onesies.

Some things in life are intricately profound. Walking across a stage at a graduation. Riding a bike without training wheels. Getting an "F" on a final. The first job you love. The first night at college. Your first puppy. Christmas time. Your grandma's funeral. Sending your foreign exchange student home who has become family. Getting ready in the same bathroom as my mom. Getting a gift so beautiful it makes you cry. Someone buying your dinner unexpectantly. Laughing and dancing and whipped cream in your coffee. Almost getting into a car accident, but miraculously not. Having something long prayed for finally happen. A sweet, silent snow. One on one time with dad. When someone you've known since you were a baby has a baby. Watching your parents cry in the drive way as you go to your home in another city. A book of letters for someone you don't know. The way one feels in a beautiful dress. A list of baby names in the back of a journal just waiting to be doled out. Dinner with your brother. Watching your puppy turn into an old man dog and be sick. Weeping. Breathing. Knowing you're broken. Knowing you're loved in the face of it.

Is there a point to this? Not particularly. Sorry, this is not wrapped up with a pretty bow, truly. It bothers me almost as much as it bothers you, promise. Sometimes it's just necessary to write things down to get them out of my hamster wheel mind.

Merry Christmas, friends. Jolly be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment